FoodAfrica midterm seminar: Food and nutrition security in Africa
Time: Monday 16 June, 2014, 8:30–17:00 Location: University of Helsinki, Unioninkatu 34, Helsinki, Finland
Investing in agricultural research in developing countries is one of the most cost-effective ways to increase sustainable food production worldwide. Research-based knowledge enables enhanced food production, access to food, food safety and nutrition.
MTT Agrifood Research Finland is organizing a seminar on African food and nutrition security on 16 June in Helsinki, Finland. Experts from different scientific fields and international research organizations will share their expertise on food and nutrition security during the day. First results of the Research for Development Programme FoodAfrica will be delivered in oral and poster presentations.
Programme Chairperson: Prof. Erkki Kemppainen, Director General, MTT Agrifood Research Finland
8:30 - 9:00 Registration
9:00 - 9:15 Opening remarks Dr. Jaana Husu-Kallio, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry of Finland
9:15 - 9:20 Rector's Welcome Prof. Anna Mauranen, Vice-Rector, University of Helsinki, Finland
9:20 - 9:50 Reinforcing Business Approaches to Tertiary Agricultural Education in Africa Dr. Aissétou Dramé Yayé, Executive Secretary, African Network for Agriculture, Agroforestry and Natural Resources Education (ANAFE), Kenya
9:50 - 10:20 Coffee & Poster Session by FoodAfrica PhD students
10:20 - 10:50 Agricultural Research for Food and Nutrition Security Dr. Sirkka Immonen, CGIAR Independent Evaluation Arrangement, Italy
10:50 - 11:20 Excessive Volatility and its Effects. What to do? Dr. Maximo Torero, Division Director MTI, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), USA
11:20 - 12:00 FoodAfrica – Tools and Solutions for Improved Food Security in West and East Africa Prof. Hannu Korhonen, Director of FoodAfrica Programme, MTT Agrifood Research Finland
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch & Poster Session
FoodAfrica Results Session Chairperson: Mrs. Mila Sell, FoodAfrica Programme Coordinator, MTT Agrifood Research Finland
13:00 - 14:45 Highlights from FoodAfrica Research Presented by the Researchers
- Strengthening Soil Management for Sustainable Agriculture and Food Production, Mercy Nyambura, ICRAF
- Senegal Dairy Genetics, Stanley Tebug, ILRI
- Climate change and agriculture in Senegal: Impacts and options for adaptation, Siwa Msangi, IFPRI
- Investigating the current and potential role of local biodiversity in meeting nutritional requirements for complementary foods of infants and young children (6-23 months) in Southern Benin, West Africa, Celine Termote & Gervais Ntandou-Bouzitou, Bioversity International
- Fighting aflatoxins: Reducing risk in Kenya's food chains, Delia Grace & Johanna Lindahl, ILRI
- Agricultural marketing and mobile phone use: Evidence from Uganda and Ghana, Maximo Torero, IFPRI
- Two innovative approaches for disseminating information to farmers: Volunteer farmer trainers and video, Steve Franzel, ICRAF & Eija Laieinen, HAMK
14:45 - 15:30 Panel Discussion on Food Security in Africa Panelists: Development Policy Advisor Sanna-Liisa Taivalmaa, MFA, Director Juha Ruippo, MTK, Dr. Aissétou Dramé Yayé, ANAFE and Waliou Amoussa, FSA.
15:30 - 15:45 Closing Remarks Mr. Kari Alanko, Deputy Director General, Ministry for Foreign Affairsof Finland
15:45 - 17:00 Poster Session & Networking
More information: Research Scientist Susanna Rokka, MTT, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 29 531 7684.
The FoodAfrica research for development programme aims for improved food security by providing tools and information to local smallholders, experts and authorities in West and East Africa. The programme involves several Finnish and African research institutions. FoodAfrica is coordinated by MTT Agrifood Research Finland and its main funding agency is the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. www.mtt.fi/foodafrica